Friday, May 20, 2011

High Fashion in the Calgary garden

High fashion. A discussion about why I will remain unfashionable in the garden this spring.

I have been at twenty different garden centers this spring signing books and talking to growers and this morning I glanced at the superstore flyer to confirm - it is universal. Everyone wants us to plant one of the fashionable new black petunias.

In Alberta black flowers + black soil = black hole.

I can't imagine why the black tulips, black pansies and now black petunias are making such inroads. Give me colour- lots of colour - to brighten my garden after a long winter. Black is just not a flower colour I endorse!

Is it just marketing? You decide with your wallets.

PS Call me on CBC radio today - Calgary and Alberta Gardening questions answered.

No comments: